Saturday, February 22, 2014

My Sister's Keeper

Am I my sister’s keeper? In an age where reality shows display demeaning portrayals of women, the question may seem false. With the trash taking, back stabbing, and fighting on national television, the bonds Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above rubies.” In today’s society, we have depreciated our value and our sisters for fifteen minutes of fame.
of sisterhood have been broken. Our standards, according to God’s Word are lowered. Proverbs 31:10, says, “
Yes, I am my sister’s keeper. When she hurts, I hurt. When she cries I am there to wipe her tears away. My door is always open when she needs a compassionate ear to tell her most intimate secrets too. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. We’re quick to judge and ready to jump ship when our sacred sister need our help the most. Love suffers long. Although we may have heard her despairing stories, a hundred times, love allows us to faithfully tarry beside her.
Why is it hard for women to complement one another?  Often, we become distance and began to bad talk our blessed sister behind her back. Why can’t we rejoice in her blessing? A true sister can celebrate no matter who is receiving the blessing.
The bond of sisterhood is even harder to find in our congregations. We pray, lift holy hands and sing, songs of praises to our Savior, all while hating the sister sitting beside us. In most churches, women fellowship has become extinct, because of envy and jealousy. Is this what God’s virtuous woman have resulted too? Our female ancestors taught their young girls the proper etiquette of behaving and acting like young women. But today’s, elder women are busy trying to be young themselves, leaving the younger generation to figure out womanhood on their own. Proverbs 31:25-26 says, “Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.”
 I will be responsible for leading and guiding my sister back on the right path when she has lost her way. Yes, I’m my sister’s keeper. I vow to use my tongue to build her up, not tire her down. When she needs a shoulder to lean on, I will be the first to offer mine.
Cain killed his brother Abel. Some theologians believed that Cain was jealous of his brother’s sacrifices to God. Stop harboring hatred in your heart, because of the work another sister does for the Lord. God has given each of us a gift. Perfect’ what he has given you, instead of becoming envious of your sister. God is no respecter of persons. The same Lord that blessed your sister has the ability to bless you as well.

It’s time for us to stop killing our sisters with our tongues. Life is hard enough without the little daggers we shoot at each other. Let those with experience, become mentors to our future young women. The time is now to leave a legacy of sisterhood behind that they will be proud to follow. Am I my sister’s keeper? The answer is a resounding, yes.
Read more about this author 

No comments:

Post a Comment